SimlandeR cited!

simlandeR was cited by Simon Moulds, in his PhD thesis.

Moulds, S. (2016). Toward integrated modelling systems to assess vulnerability of water resources under environmental change (Doctoral dissertation, Imperial College London).

The thesis is available here:

Thanks Simon, I hope you found simlandeR interesting.


SimlandeR v1.05 now available


Download Simlander latest version v.1.0.5 (Rscript and sample data)

In Version 1.05, the main changes are in the way the demand is calculated, and a lot of general tidying up. The script should be alot easier to follow and contains much less redundant code

Also added the following code to remove the over-allocation issue

#test for duplicates that inflate the number of cells allocated
difftrans 0) {
result2 <- head(result,-difftrans) #remove the duplicates from the end of the file (the weakest candidate cells)
result <- result2

Richard Hewitt 28-March-2017

New SimlandeR case study

Congratulations to Yesudas Tharayil for successful submission of his M.Tech in Geoinformatics thesis on Simulation of land use change in Thiruvananthapuram Corporation, Kerala, India, using SimlandeR.

Yesudas has kindly agreed to make his thesis available to the community to help other researchers working with SimlandeR. The thesis is available here.

APoLUS-SIMLANDeR Land use modelling course, UNAM, Mexico

Just back from Morelia, México, where I have just given a 3 day training course in cellular automata land use modelling in R at the Centre for Research in Environmental Geography (CIGA), of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM).  We used the SIMLANDER framework to simulate urban change patterns and then moved on to look at ways to incorporate actor behaviour into land use models with APoLUS. Was fantastic to meet so many like-minded researchers grappling with problems like deforestation, habitat degradation and global change issues generally. Thanks very much to Jean Francois Mas of CIGA for organising, and to everyone who attended for making me feel so welcome in México.


Trying not to bore people out of their minds talking about cell neighbourhood rules…

Course structure

Day 1:
Introduction to the topic (CA for modelling land use change)

R Tutorial 1: Introduction to working with geospatial data in R, general R commands, reclassification, simple scripting

R Tutorial 2: Making life easier in R, colours and legends, developing accessibility and suitability maps, more scripting.

Day 2:
R Tutorial 3: A simple CA model of urban land use change (SIMLANDER). Neighbourhood, random, zoning, transition potential, and land use demand.

Multiple land uses, multiple decisions – Introduction to APoLUS

R Tutorial 4: Calibrating the APoLUS model and running simulations.

Day 3:
R Tutorial 5: APoLUS – simulating actor decisions and developing scenario narratives

Group work and discussion

Day 4:
Conference: “Integrating actor behaviour in cellular automata models of land use change”)

APoLUS – ESSENTIAL update v 9.3

APoLUS – version 9.3 released

Made some small but important modifications to the allocation script (see the readme file in the new download package for details).

This corrects a problem with the code that incorrectly excluded some active land use classes from the allocation script. This was a serious coding error so please update to the latest version as soon as possible.
If you downloaded before today (26th July 2016), please download again now, I’ve updated the zip file. 

To download the latest version, go here

APoLUS – version 9.2 released

Made some modifications to the allocation script (see the readme file in the new download package for details).

Main modifications include:

  • modified accessibility block to allow import of final accessibility maps
  • modified neighbourhood block to allow import of neighbourhood matrices
  • modified allocation script to allow each block (D,N,A,S,Z) to run separately

If you downloaded before today (6th June 2016), please download again now, I’ve updated the zip file.

To get the full prototype and user manual, go to here